Designed for advanced technical artists
This certification is for game industry professionals who have 5+ years of experience in roles such as Technical Artist, Rigger, Technical Animator, and Technical Character Designer.
Technical Artists who specialize in Rigging and Animation are extremely proficient with both the creative and technical arms of development and have previously held positions at game companies in one or both fields. They work as the bridge between the animation and programming departments; write Editor extensions and tools; and integrate assets into the game without sacrificing artistic vision or exceeding platform technical limitations. Please note that this exam will not be offered after February 2021.
- Experience in a video game development studio, with at least two shipped titles
- 5+ years of relevant professional artist experience
- Knowledge of scripting using languages such as C++ or C#
- Experience in the full game lifecycle, from early concept through launch
- Experience with rigging/character setup and animation
- Familiarity with digital content creation (DCC) scripting languages such as Python, MEL, and MAXScript
- Understanding of game animation pipelines, including character and environment setups
- Solid organizational skills regarding file structures, naming conventions, and established protocols
- Fluency with asset-creation tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Quixel Suite, Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, Pixologic ZBrush, MotionBuilder, etc.
What’s on the exam?
You can expect to see questions across these topics:
- Tooling and pipeline
- Animation and rigging
Find the right certification to meet your needs. Check out Unity’s full suite of Certifications across four difficulty levels and specialization tracks ranging from Programmer to Artist.
Validate your expert-level skills and mastery of advanced Unity concepts.
Certified Expert: Technical Artist in Rigging & Animation (this Certification)