Building a sustainable future
Our 2021 impact in numbers
We are proud to have attained net-zero emissions. Our journey has just begun.
Our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions across Scopes 1–3 were fully offset through Cool Effect and Natural Capital Partners via verified offsets, removals, and renewable energy credits.
We supported creators and nonprofit organizations that are increasing awareness and spurring action on climate change.
As UN Playing for the Planet Alliance members, we co-facilitated the 2021 Green Game Jam, which shared sustainability-focused content with millions around the world through popular games.
At Unity, we are committed to creating a more sustainable world by empowering employees, creators, partners, and peers through our operations, grants, partnerships, and products.
Measuring our impact
Beginning in 2021, we conducted our first GHG emissions inventory, which counted our full Scope 1–3 emissions, including:
- Direct emissions
- Indirect emissions from purchased electricity
- Indirect emissions from business travel, purchased goods and services, events, and more
Our first annual assessment reported 38,400 metric tons of carbon. We neutralized our emissions through renewable energy credits, carbon offsets, and carbon removal projects.
Managing our impact
We are shrinking our footprint by:
- Promoting green building practices and purchasing renewable energy for our offices.
- Sourcing energy-efficient IT equipment and recycling used equipment responsibly.
- Offering our employees incentive programs for clean transportation, sustainability education, volunteering, and donating opportunities
- Providing ESG-screened funds for 401k investments
- Implementing sustainability criteria for vendor evaluation and supporting our supply chain to adopt their own science-based targets.
Partnering for climate action
With our global creator community, we have the opportunity to catalyze environmental impact beyond our own operations by leveraging partnerships, supporting environmentally focused creators, encouraging RT3D innovation, and inspiring our community to take individual and collective action. Through our partnership with the Business Council on Climate Change (BC3), we are developing tools and resources to support our suppliers in their own sustainability journeys.
Environmental grants and partnerships
Partnerships enable us to amplify impact and accelerate real-world change. In 2021, we contributed $950,000 to 11 projects.
Learn how innovative creators are leveraging RT3D to bring new stories to light, share best practices, and offer visions that we can all work towards.