For advanced technical artists
This certification is for game industry professionals who have 5+ years of experience in roles such as Shader Writer, Lighter, and Effects Artist.
Shading and effects artists are responsible for implementing the look, style, theme, and aesthetics of the game. Artists with these core skills implement real-time and baked lighting, create and customize shaders and rendering systems, and create particle systems and effects that interact with other assets. Please note that this exam will not be offered after February 2021.
- Experience in a video game development studio, with at least two shipped titles
- 5+ years of relevant professional artist experience
- Strong knowledge of lighting techniques and workflows
- Expert-level understanding of material authoring for physically based rendering pipelines
- Expert-level understanding of color correction and post effects
- Strong knowledge of photographic concepts
- Experience writing shaders in HLSL, CgFX, and other shading languages
- Knowledge of coding using languages such as C++, C#, or Unityscript
- Strong knowledge of particle systems, dynamic simulations, and interchange formats such as Alembic
- Fluency with asset-creation tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Quixel Suite, etc.
- Strong understanding of 2D and 3D math concepts
What’s on the Exam?
You can expect to see questions across these topics:
- Tooling and pipeline
- Particles and effects
Find the right certification to meet your needs. Check out Unity’s full suite of Certifications across four difficulty levels and specialization tracks ranging from Programmer to Artist.
Validate your expert-level skills and mastery of advanced Unity concepts.
Certified Expert: Technical Artist in Shading & Effects (this Certification)