Real-time filmmaking is taking the industry by storm, giving everyone from directors to animators unprecedented artistic freedom in half the time of traditional workflows. Read on to learn more about using Unity for short films and episodic TV series.
This 13-minute short film combines two-dimensional animation with the richness of fully-realized 3D environments and has been accepted to over 20 film festivals worldwide.
ADAM: Episodes 2 and 3
These two short films were created by Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium), VFX supervisor Chris Harvey (TRON: Legacy, Zero Dark Thirty), and a group of award-winning designers, artists and engineers. In just five months, the Oats team produced in real-time what would normally take a year using traditional rendering.
The first cartoon series produced for television to be made in Unity, Mr. Carton uses a unique style of cardboard photography to tell the story of a clumsy driver attempting to reach a mountaintop. The full series, which comprises 13 two-minute episodes, was created by Michaël Bolufer, who was also the co-director, designer, co-scenarist, main lighter, and animator.
Centered on a confrontation between the last monster bear and an Inuit hunter, “Giant Bear” is a chilling short that brings an ancient story out of the North. Directed by: Neil Christopher and Daniel Gies, Animation Director: Eric Max Kaplin, Co-produced by: Taqqut Productions and e.d. films.
The most popular real-time creation tool in the world
Creative center of your pipeline
- Unprecedented collaboration among roles
- Brings artists out of silos for happier teams
- Easy experimentation and fast feedback unleash artistic freedom
- Extensible, so you can keep using your favorite tools
Double your productivity
- Cut production time in half
- Instant iteration – no more render farms!
- World-class, real-time cinematic tools and technology
- The Unity Asset Store gives you access to the largest marketplace of off-the-shelf assets
- Everything in previs is usable for your production — and no post-production required
- Huge resource savings
Future-proof your IP
- Kickstart your marketing campaign by re-purposing scenes for companion experiences
- Extend the life of your story by adding sequels or new episodes based off of the same project
- Publish on new platforms that arise after your content is launched – Unity partners early and often with the latest and greatest innovators
Largest community of real-time creators
“Unity Developer” is #7 of the top 10 fastest growing jobs in the US, according to LinkedIn. With the talent pool centralized on Unity Connect, you can find skilled Unity talent to build your team and stay competitive. This is why students choose and invest in learning Unity more than any other real-time platform.
Real-time filmmaking, explained
One of the biggest differences in using a real-time workflow is that all departments are able to begin work immediately, simultaneously, and (most importantly) collaboratively.
Professional Film Training Workshops
This on-site, hands-on workshop taught by our certified Master Trainers guarantees your team will get ramped up and comfortable using Unity quickly, with session content tailored to your studio’s needs.
Sundance Film Festival
Unity is a proud sponsor of the Sundance Film Festival 2018, in which 70% of the interactive pieces selected for the New Frontier exhibit were made with Unity!
Watch a demonstration
See our Sr. Technical Product Manager for Film make a short film from scratch in under an hour!