The future of productions is here
For decades, the waterfall-type pipeline for VFX and CG animation traditional filmmaking has been painfully unoptimized. This is due to slow processing, lack of simultaneous collaboration among teams, and directorial choices that cannot be undone.
With a real-time workflow, you have lots of room for experimentation, which means low-stakes creation that saves immense amounts of money and time. Get ready to close the gap between your ideas and your final product.
Learn more about real-time filmmaking.
The creative center of your pipeline
- Unprecedented collaboration among roles
- Brings artists out of silos for happier teams
- Lower-stakes experimentation (and fast feedback) unleash artistic freedom
- Extensible, so you can keep using your favorite tools
Read more on how studios benefit from using real-time for broadcast TV animation.
Future-proof your IP
- Reuse the same assets and scenes for companion experiences in virtual and augmented reality
- Take advantage of Unity’s VR ads (virtual rooms) and AR ad formats and capabilities — Unity is the third-largest mobile ad platform in the world
- Unparalleled support for emerging platforms – Unity partners with all the latest and greatest innovators
- Kickstart your marketing campaign or extend the life of your story with an interactive game or app
- Refine your long-term project on our annual stable build — or experiment with the latest features on cutting-edge builds and beta programs throughout the year
Cinemachine automates camera behaviors and dynamically triggers the best shots based on scene composition and interaction. The result is the best shot at the best time, without painful tweaks and reworking. With Cinemachine’s suite of smart cameras, you don’t have to worry about the technical details of implementation. Instead, you can focus all your creative energies on art and storytelling.
A powerful yet user-friendly tool, Timeline enables you to sequence actions into linear stories, giving you the ability to work in-context and iterate until the content is just right:
- Create rich content using your objects, animations, sounds, particles, and other scene elements
- Compose, choreograph, and orchestrate animations, cameras, and audio
- Generate content faster by using a familiar multitrack interface to “drag and drop” objects and control and record animations to create rich scenes quickly
Learn more about Timeline.
Easily apply realistic filters to your scenes using contemporary controls for high-quality visuals and fine-tuning for more dramatic and realistic looks.
The Post-Processing Stack enables artists and designers to work with professional-grade tools inside the Unity Editor. The artist-friendly interface makes it easy to create, explore, and adjust the right aesthetic look for your desired art style.
Bring in animations from external sources or apply animations from one character onto another, saving you time and giving the flexibility you need to get your animations just right.
Unity also has a rich and sophisticated animation system with easy workflows for setting up or modifying animations for all elements of Unity including objects, characters, and properties—empowering your other departments to begin working and iterating while your animation team continues to refine their art in other digital content creation tools.
We know you have DCC tools you already love, and Unity is your best choice for working with them. Import models and scenes without extra manipulation from your favorites, like Autodesk’s Maya and 3ds Max. This makes a big difference in productivity and adds up to a lot of saved time, empowering artists and designers to quickly iterate and get to the finished result faster than ever.
Capture frames in a matter of seconds and then export them instantly in a variety of media formats. You can record video clips with audio in WebM and MP4, and record image sequences in JPEG, PNG and OpenEXR. With a newly updated user interface, managing recordings has never been easier.
Watch how to create a short film from scratch in just one hour!
Real-time filmmaking takes center stage
Unity was an official sponsor of The Sundance Film Festival in 2018 and hosted a discussion with storytelling pioneers and industry leaders to discuss how real-time rendering is already revolutionizing the way that films are created, from pre-visualization to virtual production. Special guests included Academy Award-winner Ben Grossman of Magnopus and Pixar’s John Halstead.