Supplemental Privacy Statement/ Unity AR Companion App
Last Updated: April 6, 2022
Introduction & Scope
Welcome to the Unity AR Companion App. This Privacy Statement will provide you with information on Unity’s (herein “we”, “us”, “our”, or “Unity”) processing activities with respect to your Personal Information collected through your use of the Unity AR Companion App.
Personal Information We Collect and its Sources
By downloading and using the Unity AR Companion App, Unity actively collects the following personal information directly from you, your device, or the Unity AR Companion App:
- If you choose to log in with your Unity account, Unity collects those account details.
- If you grant access to your camera and select to use storage services, Unity will store your selected images from your phone or device on our cloud servers. While using these features we ask that you be aware of your surroundings and be considerate of others.
By downloading and using the Unity AR Companion App, Unity may passively and automatically collect the below Personal Information from to perform usage analyses and to carry out the functions of the App, such as license checks.
- When you use Unity AR Companion App, it may automatically make Internet connections to check for updates, validate your license keys, and provide us with usage statistics, which we aggregate with usage statistics from other users. We may employ third-party analytics services to collect and analyze use of the Unity AR Companion App.
Other information: We may obtain additional information about you from third parties such as the store from which you download the Unity AR Companion App.
Purpose of Collecting Personal Information
(How we use your Data)
We primarily use the Personal Information we collect through your download and use of the Unity AR Companion App to provide, administer, operate and improve the Unity AR Companion App and its related Services (together, “Services”). Specifically, we may use your Personal Information for the below purposes.
Please note: Our legal basis for collection and use as required by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/ 679 (“GDPR”) can be found at the end of each bulleted list below.
Providing the functionality of the Services and fulfilling your requests
- To provide the Services’ functionality to you, such as arranging access to the AR Companion App, and providing you with related customer service, including troubleshooting, technical support and service restoration.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
Legal Basis: We will engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or to comply with a legal obligation.
Please note: Despite Unity’s legal basis for storing your information, such as your images, being to perform our contractual obligations to you, you may need to collect consent from your end users under other laws, such as Illinois’ Biometric Information Privacy Act, or for your own compliance in the EU. Our terms provide that you are responsible for any required consent with respect to the images collected. We provide some guidance in product documentation that you may choose to use with your own legal counsel in designing your consents for your users.
Analysis of Personal Information for business reporting and providing personalized services.
- To analyze or predict our users’ preferences in order to prepare aggregated trend reports on how our digital content is used, so we can improve the Unity AR Companion App.
- To perform analytics and research aimed at improving the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of our products and services.
Legal Basis: We will perform analyses with your consent or because we have a legitimate interest or your consent.We will provide personalized services either with your consent or because we have a legitimate interest.
Aggregating and/or anonymizing Personal Information.
- We may aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information so that it will no longer be considered Personal Information. We do so to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose.
Accomplishing our business purposes.
- For data analysis, for example, to improve the efficiency of the Unity AR Companion App;
- For audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and are compliant with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements;
- To enforce the relevant terms of service or licenses, and protect users;
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft;
- To link to or combine with other information we have gathered;
- For developing new products and services;
- For enhancing, improving, or modifying our current products and services and/or assisting our developers with this activity;
- For identifying usage trends, for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to users; and
- For operating and expanding our business activities, for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to our users or assisting our developers with this activity within their business so we can focus our and their energies and resources on meeting our users’ interests;
Legal Basis: We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation, and/or because we have your consent or a legitimate interest.
As we believe to be necessary or appropriate:
(a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain; and (h) for any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Who We May Share Data With
Accessing/ Updating/ Deleting Your Information
To access, update, or delete images from your device that are stored on our cloud servers, please do so in the Storage Location of Unity Editor.
We retain Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Services to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or keep using the Services);
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
Our Policies Concerning Children
Your Choices about Unity’s Collection and Use of Your Data
- You always have the option to refrain from using the Unity AR Companion App if you do not want information collected about you from it.
- You can choose to use the Unity AR Companion App in a manner that limits the data we collect. Specifically:
- You can choose to create a local project that is not synced to our cloud servers.
- If you choose to use the Unity AR Companion App as an Anonymous (no linked Unity Account) or a Unity non-AR User (Unity Account but not affiliated to a AR entitled org), your changes will be stored locally on your device and not synced to our cloud servers.
- If you choose to use the Unity AR Companion App as a Unity MARS User (Unity Account and affiliated with a MARS entitled org), your changes are synced to our cloud servers.
- Note: All changes that have not synced to our cloud servers shall be stored locally on your device and can be synced once you authenticate with a Unity MARS entitlement. Should you login with a different username, local changes are converted to an unlinked project.
- You can access, update, and delete your information as described in "Accessing and Deleting Your Information."
- We may use analytics tools to understand how the Unity AR Companion App is used and to improve experiences. If you want to know more about the use of such a tool, please email email@example.com for more information.
Transfers out of Country of Collection
Links to Other Sites
- As a reminder, this statement only describes Unity’s practices with regards to the Unity AR Companion App.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
We reserve the right to change our practices and this statement at any time. We may send an email or provide notice within some or all of our offerings when this statement changes. We encourage you to check this page regularly so that you know what our current practices are.
- Unity Technologies, 30 3rd Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (United States contact)
- Unity Technologies ApS, Niels Hemmingsens Gade 24, 1153 Copenhagen, Denmark (European Union contact)