Intellectual Property and DMCA Takedown Policy
Last updated: 8 August 2023
Unity respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects its users to do the same.
It is Unity’s policy, in appropriate circumstances and at its discretion, to disable and/or terminate the account or access of users who repeatedly infringe or are repeatedly charged with infringing the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others.
In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 Unity will respond expeditiously to claims of copyright infringement committed using the Unity website (the “Site”) and to claims of copyright or trademark infringement allegedly committed on Unity's websites and other properties (“Unity Properties”) that are reported to Unity as provided for in this policy.
Requirements for Notice of Alleged Infringement
Please consult your legal counsel or see Section 512(c)(3) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to confirm these requirements:
- Identify the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed, or - if multiple copyrighted works are covered by this Notice - you may provide a representative list of the copyrighted works that you claim have been infringed.
- Identify the material that you claim is infringing (or to be the subject of infringing activity) and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material, including at a minimum, if applicable, the URL of the link shown on the Site where such material may be found.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Unity to contact you as the complaining party. Provide your mailing address, telephone number, and, if available, email address.
- Confirm both of the following statements:
- “I hereby state that I have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., as a fair use).”
- “I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed.”
- A physical or electronic signature of the owner of the copyright (or a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright).
How to Submit a Takedown Request
If you are a copyright owner, or are authorized to act on behalf of one, or authorized to act under any exclusive right under copyright, please report alleged copyright infringements taking place on or through the Site/Unity services by completing and submitting this copyright complaint web FORM.
This form will allow you to submit a complaint concerning content on: Unity Asset Store, Advertisements served on the Unity Ad Network, Unity Play and unity.com.
Completing the web form is the most efficient way for us to process your notification of claimed infringement. Alternatively, you may complete a DMCA Notice of Alleged Infringement that meets all of the requirements listed under “Requirement of Alleged Infringement” and deliver it to Unity’s Designated Copyright Agent.
c/o Unity Technologies
30 3rd Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Note regarding applications monetizing with the Unity ad network: Unity does not host our clients' applications and we cannot perform a takedown for those applications. We respectfully request that you direct your claim to the alleged infringer and/or to any applicable platforms or websites that may be distributing allegedly infringing content.
English Language Requirement
All requests must be written in the English language. Any attempted request written in a language other than English will be deemed non-compliant and disregarded.
You should be aware that you may be liable under the DMCA or other applicable laws for any damages, including costs and attorneys' fees, incurred by person(s) injured as a result of any material misrepresentation you knowingly make that material or activity (i) is infringing; or (ii) was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification.
Not Legal Advice
This policy is not intended and may not be taken as, or relied upon in any way as, legal advice. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the requirements of applicable laws, or to consult an attorney, before providing any request to us.