For seasoned programmers
This certification is designed for programmers with 5+ years of experience in roles such as Gameplay Programmer, Game Engineer, Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Mobile Application Developer, Tools Programmer, AI Programmer, AR/VR/MR/XR Developer, and DOTS Programmer.
The knowledge tested on this exam is gained through experience on-the-job in real project situations. The test assesses your ability to apply this knowledge to a specific scenario and determine the appropriate action or outcome. It requires analysis, attention to detail, and critical thinking skills, in addition to extensive knowledge of Unity.
- Experience working with a team of programmers
- 5+ years of relevant professional programming experience
- Proficiency in Unity 2019 LTS or later
- Expertise implementing the technical aspects of design documents
- Ability to architect solutions at various stages of development
- Knowledge of advanced techniques to build and customize solutions for complex requirements
- Ability to identify the root cause of complex problems and solve them using sustainable solutions
- Experience reviewing and evaluating code for clarity, structure, quality and accuracy
- Up to date on industry trends and emerging technology
What’s on the exam?
Download the full list of what’s covered on the exam for “Unity Certified Expert: Programmer” here. You can expect to see questions across these topics:
Technical feasibility and planning
- Determining pre-project technical capabilities
- Analyzing project scope
- Applying technical documentation specifications to a project
- Determining the necessary architecture for a project
- Evaluating code for quality assurance
- Analyzing the code’s long-term sustainability
- Recommending systems for development
- Using mathematics, programming patterns, algorithms, and structures
- Understanding how data-oriented design is used in Unity
- Analyzing a project workflow to determine what custom Editor extensions are needed
- Assessing a project to determine what improvements should be made to the pipeline
Learn and practice
You can prepare to pass this certification with the following:
This short video talks you through a few sample test questions and the thought process involved in arriving at the correct answer.
Unity’s official practice test is 22 questions long and the best way to familiarize yourself with the type of questions and rigor you will face on the exam.
Find the right certification to meet your needs. Check out Unity’s full suite of Certifications across four difficulty levels and specialization tracks ranging from Programmer to Artist.
These entry-level certifications validate your foundational skills in Unity and ability to create interactive, real-time 3D experiences.
Stand out from the crowd with a certification designed for creators with a portfolio of Unity projects ready to apply for their first professional Unity role.
Certified Associate: Game Developer
Certified Associate: Programmer
Continue growing your skills with a certification that highlights your readiness for your next professional challenge.
Certified Professional: Programmer
Validate your expert-level skills and mastery of advanced Unity concepts.
Certified Expert: Programmer (this Certification)
Frequently asked questions
No, you are not required to pass the prior level before taking the more advanced certification. However, if you are unsure which level is appropriate for you, we recommend starting with the certification exam where you feel you are most prepared to succeed. This helps you become familiar with the certification process and gain confidence. When you succeed at your first level, prepare for the next level and take the test when you’re ready.
No, the new Expert: Programmer exam spans various industries. There are questions related to gaming, but the exam is designed to demonstrate your ability to apply your expertise in any situation.
The Gameplay Programmer certification has been renamed Unity Certified Expert: Programmer. Your existing certification is still valid. If you reprint your certificate, it will show the new exam name. When your current certification expires, you will take the new exam to recertify. The new name signifies that the certification is applicable across any industry that uses Unity.