Unity 5.4.0 Beta 9
Additional downloadsSelect the runtime platforms of your choice from the list below (the desktop runtime is included as standard) or, to install the full complement of runtime platforms, use the download assistant installer above.
Unity Editor Windows (X86-64)
5.4.0b9 Release Notes
- After expand/collapse Unity Editor window looks corrupted. If you maximize/minimize/click on windows in Editor they'll return to normal state.
- GPU Instancing: Instancing might get broken under glcore if graphics jobs are enabled.
- Graphics: with the new jobs enabled, reflection probes might render incorrectly in rare cases.
- In deferred rendering, lightmapped objects affected by mixed-mode lights will fallback to forward rendering.
- On Windows with MSAA and Image Effects, game view can be rendered upside down
- Shadows: Directional shadows will present shadow acnee when using a custom projection matrix and a very large frustum (20k+)
- Using OpenVR + Vive + Outdated Oculus Utils = Crash. Users are advised to update their Oculus Utils
- VR: Single-Pass-Stereo causes some lighting problems
- [Billboard][LOD] Unity crashes when picking deleted Speedtree Billboard LOD level
- [IMGUI][OSX][Regression] Detached tab is not moved slightly with the cursor after opening project with changed layout in 5.4
- [Regression] RTP Terrain shader rendering is broken after upgrading project to 5.4
- VR: Native OpenVR support added
- Note that native OpenVR support renders with an off-center asymmetric projection matrix. This means that any shaders which relied on fov / aspect may not work correctly.
Backwards Compatibility Breaking Changes
- Shaders: Default shader compilation target was changed to "#pragma target 2.5" (SM3.0 on DX9, DX11 9.3 feature level on WinPhone). Can still target DX9 SM2.0 and DX11 9.1 feature level with "#pragma target 2.0". The majority of built-in shaders target 2.5 now. Notable exceptions are Unlit, VertexLit and fixed function shaders.
- Editor: Added support for resizing the height of the preferences window.
- Shaders: ComputeBuffer data layout now matches between DX and automatically translated GL shaders. Action required: All OpenGL specific data layout tweaking in user scripts getting or setting data from ComputeBuffer should be removed.
- Animation: Fix to prevent crash when a clip is null for an animation extracted from an asset bundle, and whose dependencies have not loaded.
- Asset Bundles: Fixed the source of error messages when building variant asset bundles.
- AssetBundles: BuildAssetBundles will now switch back to the original Active Build Target when finished.
- Editor: Fixed access violation in GUIView::GUIViewWndProc.
- Editor: Fixed case of access to destroyed window during shutdown.
- Editor: Fixed case of different color gradients & pickers being seen between Gamma and Linear space player settings
- Editor: Fixed case of EditorJsonUtility throwing MissingMethodException.
- Editor: Fixed changing order of components not getting saved. We now also support undo.
- Editor: Fixed crash that could happen when animation window is open and playmode is entered
- Graphics: Fixed case of crash after SetTargetBuffers and GameObject.SetActive(false).
- Graphics: Fixed some cases of incorrectly detecting "destroy RT being assigned to Camera.targetTexture", resulting in losing Camera.targetTexture - e.g. in case of context-loss on DirectX or changing Emulation Layer in the Editor and such like.
- Multiplayer: Fixed issue where wrong initialization connection amount could lead to system crash.
- OpenGL: Fixed various corner case issues for GLSL shader generation on ComputeBuffer loads, stores and atomic ops
- OpenGL: Windows fullscreen mode fixes
- Physics: Fix to ensure that 2D Overlap/Cast checks use consistent 'skin' radius for all shapes
- Physics: Fix to ensure that a Joint2D auto-configuration still works if joint is added from script.
- Physics: Fix to ensure that a TargetJoint2D added via script allows collisions with static colliders.
- Physics: Fix to ensure that changing Rigidbody2D.gravityScale whilst a Rigidbody2D.MovePosition is in progress now works.
- Physics: Fix to stop Rigidbody2D with Interpolation being placed at world origin for a single update upon start.
- Physics: Fixed case of center of mass and inertia tensor being reset after game object was reactivated.
- Physics: Rigidbodies without non-trigger colliders can again have custom center of mass and inertia tensor.
- Scripting: Always throw an exception when calling AssetDatabase methods from constructors and during serialization
- Scripting: Deactivation order during built application shutdown is now consistent with normal scene unloading. Previously closing a built aplication could result in a NullReference exception.
- Scripting: Fixed crash after calling DestroyImmediate(gameObject) in MonoBehaviour.Awake
- Scripting: Fixed crash when accessing SerializedProperty.tooltip in some cases.
- Scripting: Fixed issue with being unable to use ScriptableObject.CreateInstance with a nested ScriptableObject class
- Standalone player: Fixed Application.persistentDataPath when Product Name contains invalid path character.
- Templates: Fixed whitespaces in Editor Tests template
- UI: Fixed ArgumentOutOfRange exception sometimes being thrown when editing InputField on mobile.
- Visual Studio: Fixed crash when opening VisualStudio + improved VisualStudio startup performance
- Windows: "Build & Run On" option will now work correctly with Universal Windows 10 Apps (it is no longer greyed out)
- Windows: Screen.currentResolution() now returns desktop resolution instead of window screen resolution when application is in windowed mode.
- Windows Store: Fixed support for JPEG images for tiles, splash screen etc.
- Windows Store: SystemInfo.deviceType will now correctly report Handheld when running on Windows Phone 10.
The following are changes and fixes to 5.4.0 features and regressions...
- Editor: Disabled 'reinstall package' feature when importing a package.
- Editor: Removed the warning described by the following note, originally added in Alpha 6: "Added a warning if there are still managed threads running after exiting play-mode. The editor only stops all managed play-mode threads when entering play-mode and recompiling scripts."
- Graphics: GPU instancing no longer requires dynamic batching enabled.
- Android/IL2CPP: Fix to prevents a crash in the garbage collector when it attempts to scan a section of memory used for the code that may have been unmapped by the OS.
- Editor: Fixed case of access to deleted object in WWWDelayCall.
- Editor: Fixed case of ClearPersistentDirty call on deleted object.
- Editor: Fixed case of read violation in CefInstance.
- Editor: Fixed crash when dragging a prefab instance from one scene to another
- IL2CPP: Fix to avoid crash when constructing error message.
- IL2CPP: Fix to prevent generated C++ code from failing to compile with errors like "error: use of undeclared identifier 'L_5'" in some cases.
- IL2CPP: Fix to properly marshal formatted classes.
- IL2CPP: Fix to properly parse binary text assets.
- Windows Store: Fixed case of scene starting while still showing Unity splash screen.
- XBoxOne/IL2CPP: Fix to allow a call to Guid.NewGuid to work correctly.