Unity Technologies Wins Prestigious Wall Street Journal Technology Innovation Award
Unity Takes Top Honor in Software Category for Being the Most Innovative Technology
SAN FRANCISCO, CA - September 27, 2010 - Unity Technologies, provider of the Unity development platform for highly interactive 3D content on the web, iPhone®, iPad™, PC, Mac®, Android™, Wii™, Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3, today announced that Unity won The Wall Street Journal 2010 Technology Innovation Award in the software category. This year -- the awards' 10th -- The Wall Street Journal received 597 applications from companies, organizations and individuals in 30 countries. The list of winners can be found at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527487039043045754974737357612….
"We couldn't be more excited to be recognized thus by one of the world's most respected and widely read publications. This is the latest in a series of accolades for Unity," said David Helgason, CEO of Unity Technologies. "We remain doggedly focused on simplifying game development tools to make them available to everyone from the individual enthusiast to the most demanding of game development studios."
Among this year's awards and accolades:
- Unity Technologies won Develop Magazine's coveted Grand Prix Award
- Unity won Develop Magazine's Technical Innovation Award
- Unity Technologies was named an "interesting company to watch" by InformationWeek
- Unity was named a Best Engine Finalist by Develop Magazine
- Unity Technologies was named a Mobilize 2010 LaunchPad Winner
- Unity Technologies was named a San Francisco Business Times' Tech and Innovation Entrepreneur Award Finalist
- Customer Press Play won the Independent Games Festival Vision Award for its "Max & the Magic Marker" game at Game Developers Conference (GDC)
- Customer D2 TEAM-Sim was honored for its "Launcher Dogs" training app in the Innovations in Department of Defense (DoD) Gaming Competition at GameTech
- Customer Infrared5 was named a Meffys Cross-Platform Technology Award Finalist for its "Brass Monkey" SDK
- Customer Gorillaz's "Plastic Beach" was nominated for BT's Digital Music Best Music App Award
"What you can create in a short time frame with a low learning curve is pretty revolutionary," said Robert Drost, a computer architect and one of the Innovation Awards judges.
The Wall Street Journal noted that Unity is "simple enough for hobbyists or start-up developers; two developers used it to make the popular Zombieville USA app for the iPhone. They also are powerful enough for the largest game developers. Electronic Arts Inc., for example, used Unity to create its Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online game."
To get the free and feature-packed Unity for creating games and interactive visualizations, simply visit http://unity3d.com/unity/download.
About Unite 2010
Unity Technologies is holding Unite 2010, its fourth annual developer conference for artists, programmers, designers, researchers, publishers and enthusiasts, November 10-12 at the historic Marché Bonsecours in Old Montreal, Canada following the Montreal International Game Summit. Unite 2010 will offer three days of material including advanced hands-on classes and technical sessions, and there will be plenty of time to network, socialize and have fun. For more information on Unite 2010 and to register, go to http://unity3d.com/unite/.
About Unity Technologies
Unity Technologies is revolutionizing the game industry, was named one of the top five game companies of 2009 by Gamasutra after just four years on the market and received Develop Magazine's coveted Grand Prix and Technical Innovation Awards in 2010. Today Unity Technologies has more than 200,000 registered users worldwide -- including Bigpoint, Cartoon Network, Coca-Cola, Disney, Electronic Arts, LEGO, Microsoft, NASA, Ubisoft, Warner Bros., large and small studios, independent professionals, students and hobbyists -- using the Unity platform to develop high-quality interactive 3D content for the web, mobile and console. Unity Technologies is one of the fastest growing software companies and is aggressively innovating to expand usability, power and platform reach so that it can deliver on its vision of democratizing interactive 3D technology. Unity Technologies is headquartered in San Francisco and has development offices worldwide. For more information, visit http://unity3d.com/.
+1 (650) 814-4560
+44 (0) 7966 449 130