Matmi Chooses Unity for Gorillaz Debut Game on iPhone and iPad
SAN FRANCISCO, CA - July 28, 2010
Unity Technologies, provider of the Unity development platform for highly interactive 3D content on the web, iPhone, iPad, PC, Mac, Android, Wii™, Xbox 360 and PlayStation®3, today announced the release of the ‘'Escape to Plastic Beach” game on the iPhone and iPad. Developed by award winning digital agency, Matmi, on the Unity platform for Gorillaz, it features the band's new single, “Super Fast Jellyfish.”
- The iPhone version of the game can be found on the App Store at:http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gorillaz-escape-to-plastic/id378332559%3Fmt=8
- The iPad version can be found at: http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/gorillaz-escape-to-plastic/id378357270%3Fmt=8
“Branded games are vital new revenue streams for the music industry, and EMI has been a pioneer in the field – witness the success of the campaign we worked on with them for lily Allen, for example,” said Jeff Coghlan, Founder and Managing Director of Matmi. “As a developer working on both online and mobile platforms, Unity is a great platform because it makes the port from online to the iPhone and iPad so simple. We can develop games which are higher quality than Flash-based games and by working in Unity, we can reach new game-playing audiences on the iPhone, iPod and iPad. For developers and clients targeting both online and mobile audiences, Unity’s development platform has the advantage.”
“It's exciting to observe how Unity gets adopted outside of the core games industry. The music, film and advertising industries are broadly adopting games and game technology to reach a wildly broad game-loving audience,” said David Helgason, CEO of Unity Technologies. “These products exemplify the kind of creative useswhich now make up a third of our business!”
Matmi joins the growing ranks of prestigious agencies and developers adopting Unity for interactive mobile and web content, following a successful test with an own-brand release in November 2009. Notable uses of Unity in digital marketing include:
- Gorillaz (web game by Matmi for Gorillaz's new single) [http://www.matmi.com/games/GorillazEscapeToPlasticBeach/](http://www.matmi.com/games/GorillazEscapeToPlasticBeach/)
- Honey Nut Cheerios: Honey Defender and Honeyway Train (web games by Boffswana) http://www.honeydefender.com/
- Iron Man 2: Upgraded (web game by littleloud for Dr Pepper) http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/ironman2/game/
- Iron Man 2: Whiplash – Slash and Burn (web game by littleloud for Paramount Pictures International) http://www.whiplashslashandburn.com/
- Juventus Football Club (http://juventuspremiumclub.com/](http://juventuspremiumclub.com/)
- Nike Pinball (digital pinball machine by DoubleYou) http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv=DdfCVdEmsq4
- Streetdance3D (Facebook game by nDreams)
About the Game: “Escape to Plastic Beach” on the iPhone and iPad
Players assume the role of Gorillaz’s bandleader Murdoc, as he goes to nigh Herculean lengths to get the “Plastic Beach” album recorded. Fortunately, Murdoc has his “Doom Glider,” a hang glider equipped with twin machine guns and a healthy disregard for the sanctity of human life, and he’s willing to do whatever it takes to get this album made.
Designed especially for the tilt controls of the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch and featuring eight exciting levels of gun-toting, gliding action in full 3D, as well as designs from band co-creator Jamie Hewlett and music and voice-overs from the band themselves, “Escape From Plastic Beach” is a must-have app for any Gorillaz fan.
“Escape to Plastic Beach” Features:- Eight Exciting Levels – Fight, fly and fire your way through eight levels of Gorillaz action with varied goals and missions and a whole bundle of hazards and enemies to deal with.- Amazing 3D Graphics – Plastic Beach is recreated in full 3D, with designs from Jamie Hewlett, designer of the Gorillaz.- Awesome Sounds – Gorillaz soundtrack from the Plastic Beach album and voice-overs from the band themselves!- Global Scoreboard – Compete against your friends or even total strangers by posting your score to the official Gorillaz scoreboard.
Established in 2001, Matmi specializes in branded entertainment and is a guiding light in the ever-changing landscape of digital marketing. Experimenting on own-brand releases first – online and on mobile - means Matmi can be first to market for its clients with proven, highly effective and cutting edge digital marketing strategies and tactics. Socialization and engagement are the new genre of online advertising. Matmi clients in this field include Cancer Research, Comic Relief, EMI Music (lily Allen, Iron Maiden), Universal Music and Vimto Soft Drinks. Find Matmi at www.matmi.com (but there’s every chance a piece of Matmi’s award winning work will find you first). Enjoy.